Thursday, November 04, 2004

Freshly updated, perfumed and ready to party

I see my post frequency has decreased to the point that I'm doing one per month. It's a fantastic trend, and if it continues you'll be able to see not only the frequency but the quality of such posts decline. I estimate that, within a year, my posts will consist of something akin to the following:

"Hey there, tehres'sa cool game called Ultramegazords, checkitout.ZORDBPOWER"

So, the election is over, and my oh my was I disappointed at the lack of Republican and Democrat lawyers settling voting issues with bare-knuckle boxing (in the legal, figurative sense). No, actually I was more concerned that we'd have a deeply divided nation, split over two conflicting ideologies- Thank goodness that didn't happe- oh wait. So it appears that 49% of the nation likes to kill babies and the other 51% hates fags. It's good that we have two political parties to tell us exactly how we should think about the issues. I'm relieved that I don't have to choose between environmentalism and the war in Iraq- my party has determined how I feel for me.

It's pessimism, which is unusual for me. Normally I would be thinking about how wonderful it is to live in a country that is free enough to have peaceful elections, that celebrates individual achievement, and so forth. But this election has showed how stratified we are, perhaps more than even in Vietnam. I sometimes dream of a world where we didn't go to war in Iraq, and possibly bubble gum comes out of fire hydrants. And something about bubbles that I'll have to develop more fully later. Bush would have won handily, and the nation would be united behind him as a strong leader who doesn't go to war for oil/removal of saddam/WMDs/had a green tie on that day and it made him cranky/lost a Superbowl bet with Rumsfeld/only off by one letter.

Instead, we are where we are.

It really makes me want to run for office. I could go to Congress and, instead of voting as the politcal establishment dictates, run a one-man filibuster until my arch rival (Senator Payne, Senator Angste, Senator Dredd, or somesuch) confesses his own guilt. Or maybe I've been watching Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. It's a thought, though.

So, if you are Republican or Democrat, let us reflect on the words that Lincoln used in his 2nd inauguration- I feel that they have particular meaning:

"With malice toward none; with charity for all; with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in; to bind up the nation's wounds; to care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan--to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace, among ourselves, and with all nations."

Chief Superpresident Congressman Justice Mahd

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home